While I take pride in occasionally making you laugh about my escapades as an expat in Johannesburg, there are other, much better researched sources of information out there. There is no reason for me to re-invent the wheel, so please visit the following:
- Jozikids: Wonderful resource for anything related to kids or family life in and around Johannesburg, such as schools, things to do, parties, babysitting, sports, and classifieds.
- City of Johannesburg: Another good resource for events in Johannesburg and all sorts of other information (this is where you can report potholes and out-of-order traffic lights, as well as request new dustbins – but don’t hold your breath on the delivery!)
- Gumtree: The equivalent of Craigslist, also available for Cape Town, Durban, and Eastern Cape.
- Bushbreaks: By far the best website I’ve found for finding and booking game lodges in Southern Africa; organized very well, has great overviews of the different game reserves, and offers friendly service and good discounts to boot.
- Kalahari.net: Online shopping, not as comprehensive but the closest you’ll find to the equivalent of Amazon.com.
- Movies4Africa: Online movie rental, the equivalent of Netflix. (Note: As of November 2010, this service was discontinued. But there are numerous corner video stores to choose from.)